Full time & Part Time Faculty Members
Full-time Faculty Members
The full-time faculty ranks are: an instructor, assistant professor, associate professor, and professor. Appointment to any rank is made according to regulations for recruitment. A faculty contract may be renewed, on the basis of a rolling contract.
Visiting Faculty Member
A visiting faculty member may be a distinguished faculty member who is on leave from another college or university, or from a comparable educational or research institution. Appointment to this rank is either on a semester-by-semester basis or on an annual basis. A visiting faculty member can be a visiting professor, a visiting associate professor, or a visiting assistant professor. The same qualifications and procedures shall apply for visiting faculty members as per the initial requirements for full-time faculty ranks. Recommendations for the reappointment of a visiting faculty member shall be made by the relevant college Dean to the University President. A visiting faculty appointment may not be renewed for more than two consecutive years. A visiting faculty member is entitled to specific resources and access to specific facilities at the university as determined by the Dean of the college to which s/he has been appointed.
Part Time Faculty Member
Below is a list of the policies and procedures that have been adopted by AAU for part-time faculty members:
- A part-time faculty member is one whose major employment is not with AAU and whose teaching load is 6 hours or less per semester.
- Part-time faculty members are entitled to the professional privileges and compensation accorded to full-time members.
- Part time faculty appointments are subject to the university regulations with respect to recruitment of full-time faculty members.
- The qualifications of a part-time faculty member are subject to the same criteria as a full-time faculty member.
- Recommendation for a part-time faculty position shall be made by the Department Head or College Dean and is approved by the University President.
- The contract duration for this position is for one semester.
- The ratio of part-time faculty members in each academic program should not exceed 25% of the total faculty members.